Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Paging Doug Gabriel

A few weeks ago, I accidentally recorded an ESPN2 sports talk show called 2 Live Stews. I was about to erase it from my TiVo when I heard that they were going to interview Jerry Porter. I was subsequently a bit stunned at what came out of Porter’s piehole during the interview. This may be old news to some of you, but I was compelled to save and finally transcribe the interview, which speaks for itself:

2 Live Stews: Head coach Art Shell is back at the helm. Have you talked to Coach Shell and what are your impressions of him?

Porter: At first I wasn’t a fan of him. I thought we should have gotten Mike Martz as our coach, because it was our offense, our offense we had, we ran basically the same offense that St. Louis had, and I though that Mike Martz would come in and I guess be a better play caller and do more…It would be less work for us, we’d be like, the offense that we ran, we could just go out and he could call the plays, and we’d just get to be the greatest show on grass instead of the greatest show on turf. But we got Coach Shell and, I mean, he’s come in and tried to implement his whole hard ass thing going on, but (shrugs) we’ll see what happens.

2 Live Stews: Wow, man, hey I mean Art Shell pretty much was brought back in, anytime you talk about the Raiders, you talk, you know, the media says a team that’s not really disciplined, and that’s why Al Davis allegedly brought him back in, was to bring some discipline back to you guys.

Porter: That’s not true at all, I mean, our team, we had, we were perfectly disciplined. We didn’t have any guys doing anything they weren’t supposed to do. It’s just that we had a lot of injuries, and certain positions, guys just weren’t, fact of the matter, they weren’t playing well. Our offensive line could have done better protecting our quarterback, our quarterback could have played better, our receivers could have played better. And as far as defensively goes, a lot of players that we had, they got hurt or they didn’t know what they were doing, it was a brand new defense to them. It’s like you can sit up and make excuses all day, but the bottom line is we didn’t play well.

2 Live Stews: Well, moving on, because it’s obvious that you might not like what’s going on in Oakland, so lets talk about some other stuff, man…(At this point, the interview leads into the subjects Aaron Brooks and Randy Moss, about whom Porter was upbeat).

In addition to the bizarre notion of a perfectly disciplined team on which nobody plays to their potential, I’m a bit mystified by Jerry Porter’s passive-aggressive assessment of his new coach. I thought that getting booted out of Art’s office might have sobered him up. Apparently not.

Do we have a defector on The Return to Nasty? Time will tell, but here's my take for now: Paging Doug Gabriel, the number two slot is calling.

P.S. For a great take on this developing Porter situation, be sure to check out Raider Nation Podcast.

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Porter is one of the few who have escaped the knucklehead housecleaning of recent years: Lifetime Buchanon, WTF Chuck, KFC...all gone...and there was much rejoicing...

Joey Porter - and yeah, I call you "Joey" like everyone else - the bell tolls for thee.

3:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's interesting to note that Moss is allegedly the guy with the bad attitude but he is reportedly buying what Shell is selling. I doubt Moss would have characterized Turner's team as "perfectly disciplined". And then there's Jerry.

If anyone doubted Tim Brown's "leadership" influence on Jerry Porter, it's all there in black and white. The only notable difference being that Tim Brown is a Hall of Famer and Jerry Porter is a guy who disappears for weeks at a time and drops too many balls in the end zone.

Hey Jerry, get on the bus or get run over by it!

5:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's our trade bait for a running back, or a June 1 cut casualty. He said those things because he knows he's about to get the big boot of Shell in his AAAAA$$$$$$$!
I agree with you RT, it's time to call up Gabriel (a better receiver) to the #2 hole. Porter is just bent over the fact he was bumped from the #1 spot for Randy Moss. Now he should be bumped for good.
I laugh at the phrase, "We were a perfectly disciplined team..." Then in the same breath says, "Bottom line is we didn't play well." I'm going to add to what you said Porter. The Raiders' didn't play to their potential, or what they were capable of playing! That my friend, is not the signs of a "Perfectly disciplined team." That is a sign of discontent with play calling, coaches, and ego!
Let us not forget, Gruden never liked Porter, and we are starting to find out why. Porter doesn't like authoritative coaches, he's sensitive. He wants to be babied.
Get off your motha's tit, and be a man. You're in the NFL. If you want to be babied, ask to be traded to the Patriots, Chiefs, Donkeys, Dolphins, Falcons, or the Packers. I'd prefer you go to the Falcons, and trade you for TJ Duckett. My 6 month old daughter is more of a man, and cries less than you. I hope you're not at a Raider Image signing I go to, when I come out to Cali in July. If you are, I'm going to punch you in the face.

6:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm giving Porter a pass here. I think by 'perfect discipline' he was referring to the discipline the players showed in not bashing Norv. The players showed respect for their coach, even thought things weren't getting done. Compared to the complete circus that was the last Callahan year, it was perfect discipline. Shell will decide if Porter's on board or not. My guess is he will be and will have a big year.

7:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Porter is starting to sound like he takes team loyalty lessons from Terrel Owens! He's obviously a stud receiver, but we don't need that attitude! Where's Tim Brown when we need him?

8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah...Tim Brown was never divisive...

9:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have one word after reading the text of that interview: amazing! (in a bad way of course). this guy has absolutely no clue at all.

11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

die hard in oregon can't believe what I just read ...does joey believe he can't be replaced??? Gabriel is #2 potential by all means curry is healing and there are a long list of others waiting for there break...

Wake up joey!!!!!

12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does anyone know the status of Ronald Curry's return from the torn achilles?

Don't forget he had 50 grabs and 6 td's through 12 games before going down the first time in '04.

Seems to be the kind of hard working / character guy we need....and probably get's his Hines Ward on (blocking) on running plays.

Hopefully it's Curry or Gabriel taking PT away from Porter next year. Like the rest of you I'm tired of his lack of consistent play....TO may be an a-hole but at least he brings it every game.

1:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jerry "Pouter" can be traded.........Yesterday! We all will see by Junt 1st, if he will be around. With the new NFL agreement June 1st has become the day of the "Hot potato". Every team must cut the fat or face big $$$.

Perfect timing for Jerry Mc Portet to hit the road and bring in a Running Back to help the run game. We have Jonnie Morant and a host of others waiting to move in and play harder than JP.

4:13 PM  
Blogger Calico Jack said...

Although I find his comments disappointing and immature, I am going to reserve judgement on JP.

I would like to see whether or not he gets with the program. As far as I know he has always practiced and played hard even if his play has been inconsistent in terms of performace. If he falls in line with the new Shell regime, JP could be a very valuable #2 receiver.

6:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jerry Porter has not performed well enough on the field to get away with acting like an idiot off it. To me, this is an early crossroad for coach Shell. He should move Gabriel up the depth chart, and slide Porter down. This would send a powerful message to the whole team....ART SHELL IS IN CHARGE, AND HE MEANS BUSINESS. Make an example out of Porter, he shouldn't have a roster spot for life, like James Jett.

7:14 PM  
Blogger Raider Raza said...

Trade JP for a back up RB, and let Gabriel and Morant step up.

I never liked Porter after he dropped the easy TD pass at home and went to the sidelines and laughed it off. For someone who studied under the tutilage of Brown, Rice and Biletnikof this dude is a major dissapointment.

7:43 PM  
Blogger TheFreakingPope said...

My take is simple. Shell is riding this guy hard. And he should. Subsequently Porter is running his mouth. JP has never lived up to his potential. I love him, but someone needs a few extra hard hits on the practice field.

9:33 AM  
Blogger Roy said...

I cringe when I here players cracking the head coach, we need to ship out any one that is not on board before they turn into cancers. That being said, I must agree I would have preferred Martz as Well. I think his offense would have been a great fit for our players. I guess I am more concerned with Walsh and his offense than I am concerned about Shell. Likewise, JP is a talented player who I hope can be fit into the system.

2:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had mad respects for Porter and his game but now that I hear him crying like this I say deal him away while he still has some value to him cause the more he talks the less we can get for him oh yeah and dont worry Doug Gabriel is more than ready to step up and what about a guy named Curry if he stays healthy man what a season he can have. All I can say is Jerry I really would like to see you stay but if you dont want to then I dont want you wearing the Silver & Black anymore!!!

9:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn, its disturbing to hear that. Truth be told crap like this has built up with Porter to where Im fine without him in Oakland. He dosent bring it on a weekly basis anyway. We all know he has underacheived the last couple years. Bottom line is he better get on board. That was total disrespect to coach Shell. If he in any way slows down the progress of this team they will need to make a move and get what they can for him now rather than later

6:05 PM  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

canada goose outlet
golden goose
bape hoodie
jordan shoes
yeezy
jordan shoes
jordan 13
kobe 11
adidas yeezy
yeezy shoes

7:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home