Thursday, August 24, 2006

The First Drive Experiment

Is it possible to orchestrate a unison chant by the Raider Nation during the entirety of San Diego’s first offensive drive on September 11? I don’t know, but it can’t hurt to try. Let’s call it the “First Drive Experiment."

I floated the idea in a take earlier this week, and it has been met with considerable enthusiasm. The goal would be to chant the familiar “Raiii-derrrs” war cry to freak out Philip Rivers and the Chargers; to pump up our team; and to serve notice to a national television audience that the Raider Nation is still loud and proud.

I think there are three keys to making it happen:

1. Keep the concept simple by focusing on the first drive. The chant might emerge at other points in the game, as it did against the 49ers on Sunday, but the initial concept needs to be clear and simple in order to get the word out.

2. Spread the word. You can click on the email icon below to quickly send this take to all of your Raider Nation friends. I encourage other Raiders forums and outlets to also run with this idea and help spread the word. It won’t happen unless we can get reach a critical mass of fans.

3. Get the Oakland Raiders organization involved. How can we get the team to flash “Raiii-derrs” on the scoreboard during the Chargers’ first offensive drive? That would really help get the crowd into it. And would the team consider including the idea in one of its regular emails to season ticket holders? If anyone has the right connections, please speak up.

This kind of thing is easier said than done, but wouldn’t it be cool if we could pull it off? Imagine 60,000 fans chanting “Raiii-derrrs” in unison to kick off the season. Let me know what you think, and thanks in advance for spreading the word.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The chant is a great idea, but don't forget the D batteries..............................................[kidding]......

6:31 AM  
Blogger Roy said...

I just of the phone to help spread the word. This would be great to shake Rivers and would sound really good on national tv.

9:40 AM  
Blogger Raider Take said...

Wouldn't it, indeed, sound cool on television? I think it would trip people out. As for inside the stadium, it would be a haunting Black Hole-style welcome to Mr. Rivers and a memorable start to a new era in the Raider Nation.

jte makes good points, we just need enough matches around the Coliseum to start this bonfire.

9:47 AM  
Blogger Raider Raza said...

I applaud your efforts, but I promise you they are absolutely not necessary.

Raider Nation will be in full effect Monday Night for the Opener at the Coliseum.

It will not be a pretty place for Rivers to debut.

10:23 AM  
Blogger Raider Take said...

Raider Raza, I have no doubts about the volume of the Raider Nation!

I just think that it would be extra cool if we could startle a national television audience and the San Diego Chargers with "Raii-derrrs" to kick things off.

10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm right behind you, RT. I'll be at the game this Friday and inform my section, or anyone who'll listen, of the plan. Won't take much to get it rolling but an extremely worthwhile enterprise it is.

10:52 AM  
Blogger TheFreakingPope said...

I'm a pretty loud guy, but I don't know if you will be able to hear me from my living room in Dallas, TX.

That doesn't mean I won't give it a go!

Side Note: The Raider team ranking in Madden 07 is rubbish! BTW, does anyone find it odd that I can't download our logo from XBOX Live, but I can get the Panthers? The game is named after a Hall of Fame Oakland Raider Head Coach!

1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

RT, I think it is totally doable. I don't know if the Raiders would be allowed to flash anything on the screen while a play is running, but maybe they could flash it while they are in the huddle. It would even be cool if the PA Announcer wouldn't even announce the play that happened, but would just say "RAAAAIIIIIII-DEEEEEERS!"
Here's the Front Office's number:
510.864.5000
I would say to cold call them, let them know what you are about, and what you want to accomplish, and who you could talk to, to get the ball rolling.
I'm rooting for you guys here in Austin, TX, and I hope it works out, because I want to see Rivers piss his pants on National TV.
RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII-DDDDDDEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRS!

6:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should wander the parking lot spreading the idea before the game.

PS

1:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about passing out flyers in the parking lot, concession areas, and turnstile? Give the details of WHEN to chant.

How about enlisting the help of local radio? That could spread the world to the non-Internet part of the Nation.

How about convincing the above mentioned radio station to sponsor a "Black Out"? Pass out FREE black T-Shirts with "Raaaaaaaay - Deeeeeers!" on the front and Station Logo on the back? Could you imagine how much more intimidating the chant would be if EVERYONE was wearing black?

8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home